Quotes from "Tuesdays With Morrie"

Quotes from "Tuesdays With Morrie"
click image for direct access

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Ten Quotes from John F. Kennedy

John F. Kennedy became the U.S. president when I was graduating from Grade-VI in a public school in my hometown. It was my father who planted him in my consciousness after he came back the following year from a government scholarship in the States. He regaled us with his first-hand account of the palpable tension in America during the Cuban Missile Crisis that tested Kennedy's mettle as a young president of a world superpower. That made a lasting imprint on my impressionable mind, hence my choice for these quotes:

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."

* * *

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.

* * *

"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future."

* * *

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men."

* * *

"Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction."

* * *

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."

* * *

"Geography has made us neighbors. History has made us friends. Economics has made us partners, and necessity has made us allies. Those whom God has so joined together, let no man put asunder."

* * *

"History is a relentless master. It has no present, only the past rushing into the future. To try to hold fast is to be swept aside."

* * *

"I look forward to a future in which our country will match its military strength with our moral restraint, its wealth with our wisdom, its power with our purpose."

* * *

"I just received the following wire from my generous Daddy; Dear Jack, Don't buy a single vote more than is necessary. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for a landslide."
(Many thanks to obits.eons.com for the use of the photo shown above)

Print

No comments: